Please use the draft Town Meeting warrant (or resolution) to take to your local community so this discussion about war spending can spread deeply throughout the state. You will need to check with your town clerk as soon as possible to find out the process by which a warrant or resolution can be considered at your Town Meeting or Town Council. Please be sure to let us know what you plan to do. Good luck.
Town of (or City) _____________, Maine
Town Council Resolution
A Resolution of the Town of _____________, Maine to end the expenditure of our citizens' tax dollars for excessive and unaffordable warfare funding by the U.S. Congress.
- the financial resources available for use by governments at the local, county, state and federal levels in the United States are and must be limited, and
- an inordinate level of military expenditure is being made by the U.S. federal government for warfare in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan, and
- the people of _____________, Maine are collectively paying or becoming indebted for approximately X million dollars per year of their limited financial resources for such warfare which supplies no identified public benefits, and
- this warfare creates great and unnecessary harm to the people of the nations of Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan and to U.S. military personnel and their families, and
- education services, infrastructure repairs, other essential public services, and family and private-sector financing in _____________ and throughout the State of Maine have been substantially reduced in order for an excessive portion of available financial resources to be diverted from the constructive economy to unnecessary warfare,